Now I typically never do recipe posts, but... given that it was just green chile season here in New Mexico... we have a ton of it on hand and green chile chicken enchiladas are one of our favorite green chile dishes... Now because my kiddos aren't huge green chile fans... I'm including the recipe for their version as well....
What You will need:
Approx. 15-20 Corn tortillas
1 Can of cream of mushroom soup
1 Can or Cream of chicken soup
1/4 Cup of milk
1lb of Chicken Breasts
Chopped Green chile (however much your family wants...the more you add... the hotter it will be)
1/4 Cup chopped onions (optional)
Shredded Cheddar cheese (Amount up to you as well)
Garlic Salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
(I've included handy pictures to help you along the way ;0))
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
2. Boil the chicken breasts until cook through and set aside to cool.
3. Rip up the corn tortillas and layer the bottom of the both pans (adult and children's pans).
4. Shred chicken and put a layer of chicken on top of the tortillas.
5. Combine cream of chicken, Cream of mushroom, garlic salt and pepper to taste, and milk in a large mixing bowl.(you may need to add more milk if you run low on the mixture for both casseroles.)
(do not add chile yet.)
5. Pour a thin layer of the mixture over the chicken in the children's pan.
6. Add chopped green chile to the remaining mixture.
7. Pour a thin layer of the green chile mixture over the shredded chicken and tortilla layers in the adult pan.
(If you wish to add onions add a thin layer of diced onions after the mixture.)
8. Cover both pans with a layer of shredded cheese.
9. Bake the children's dish uncovered for approx. 15-20 min or until cheese is golden brown.
10. Add an additional layer of corn tortillas on the adult's dish and follow with a layer of shredded chicken, remaining mixture, onions and cheese.
11. Bake adult dish covered for approx. 45 min. or until mixture is bubbling and cheese is golden brown.
12. Let cool for about 15 minutes to help with cutting. If casserole has not firmed enough to cut through let stand for a bit longer.
Some people like to top their piece with lettuce tomato and sour cream...
I hope you enjoy!!!!